BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The City of Angels and Brides: 24 hours

I guess the best place to start is the beginning.  Oscar and I woke up at 4:00 am on Friday (June 24) and made the dark drive to the airport.  I took US Airways and was so displeased I don't think I'll ever fly with them again.  Not only did they not give out a meal on the 5 hour flight from Charlotte to LAX, they didn't even give out peanuts!  I mean c'mon!  Are airlines so strapped that they can't even through me a pack of pretzels?  I guess this seems small, but I pay so much for tickets and all I get is 1/2 a can of ginger ale.  PLUS they didn't recycle.  I held onto my can until I came across a recycling bin later.  But on to more important details.

My friend, Sarah, was kind enough to pick me up from the airport.  Which, after being in LA for about 4 hours, I realized is a huge deal.  Traffic is terrible in LA.  All the time.  Well I guess between 2am and 4am you're golden.  But any normal human time to travel is bumper-to-bumper traffic.  We chatted as we headed to her friend's house, who happened to be getting married that day.

After much bridal prepping (equal amounts of it went into the bride and the food) and once Sarah had managed to wrap me up in a sari, we headed to the mosque to witness a wedding.  It was a small, short ceremony and many combinations of pictures were taken.  We then headed back to the bride's sister's house where the party had yet to start.  (ps- this is the 5th wedding I've been to since January)


Signe in a sari!!!
  
The bride and groom are lovely.


By this time (6pm west coast) I had been up for 17 hours and was running out of steam.  I took a quick nap, and then headed out for the Pakistani delicacies that were awaiting me.  And boy was there food.  I shoved my face full of samosas before I was told that the current smorgasbord was only appetizers!

I sipped water in my sari and chatted with some of the guests.  All were extremely inteligent and I got the feeling I was the only one in the bunch without a PhD.  Finally dinner was served, and Sarah took me back to her apartment in Arcadia.  At 1am I fell into a deep sleep after being up for a full 24 hours.

0 comments: