BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 8, 2011

Day Before Departure

So I find myself in the day that would never arrive-- August 8.  The day before I pick up my over-stuffed (but under 50 pound) bags and head to Costa Rica for an undetermined amount of time.  I'm very excited about my trip but I'm also reveling in my last moments in my home country.  Tonight my mom, her boyfriend and I will celebrate the best I know how-- with stinky cheese, crispy crackers, sweet and spicy chutney, expensive wine, and hot pink fingernail polish.  (My mom's boyfriend will not take part in the later of that list.)

My flight leaves tomorrow at 6am, and I should arrive in San Jose by 4pm (6pm Eastern time, get the blog title now?  2 time zones away? heh.)  Once I arrive I'll drop my stuff off at the apartment Oscar found, and then head to his house to be interrogated by aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins alike.  Not something I look forward to on any day, but particularly not after 12 full hours of traveling.  But that's how things work out sometimes.

Oh perhaps I should inform you of the apartment hunt.  In Costa Rica apartments are on the market for a full week before they're rented out.  So work must be done quickly.  Oscar started looking around as soon as he got back home (about a week ago).  I had some fairly impossible criteria that I wanted him to fulfill.  I wanted a 2 bedroom, with big windows, a yard and a porch.  Well what we ended up with was a 2 bedroom.  Good enough, right?

The reason this apartment was chosen was because it came with furniture.  I'm not sure how the rest of the world works, but in the USA when you rent an apartment "unfurnished" that means there's no furniture.  But it does come with a refrigerator, an oven, a stove, cabinets, etc.  In Costa Rica, "unfurnished" means there isn't anything.  A room with a sink and possibly a counter top = kitchen.  We are still a starting couple so it is probably good (and economical) for us to find a place that not only supplies tables and chairs, but also a fridge, oven and stove.  The lease is only for 6 months, so we can look into moving into something a little more "our own" later on.

Might try to lie down here for a little nap.  Though I seriously doubt I'll get any sleep.

On my mind...

0 comments: