BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 22, 2011

Fruit-atarian

I grew up in a very vegetarian household.  We rarely had meat, and when we did it was a huge surprise.  It wasn't so much that my parents are ethical, more so that my mom hates meat and my dad didn't mind not eating it.  So meat is something that has never been a large part of my diet.  What I did love growing up, and still do, is fruit.  I would eat fruit every day all day if I could.  Summer was for blueberries and we would pick POUNDS of them.  My dad would cut up a cantaloupe, and I would eat the entire thing.  An entire box of strawberries would last 15 minutes, and a whole bunch of bananas would be consumed in one day.  So I was then dubbed a "fruit-atarian".


One of my favorite things to do is to make fruit smoothies.  In the USA I would buy 5 or 6 bags of frozen fruit and grind them up for my breakfast.  There is no frozen fruit in Costa Rica.  So would I let this deter me and let the fruitatarian go hungry?  Of course not!  This past Saturday at the feria, Oscar and I bought tons of fresh fruit. And just today I cut it all up, put them in labeled baggies, and through them in the freezer.

This time around is an experiment to see which fruits freeze the best.  We have peaches, papaya, strawberries, mandarin oranges, bananas, pineapples and mangoes.  I found that I am going to need a lot more practice peeling and cutting papaya and mangoes.  They are two fruits I never buy in the States and I certainly had a hard time with them.

Here's some pictures of the bounty.


0 comments: