BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Official Volunteer

That's right folks, I have finally found a volunteer position.  I knew that there had to have been plenty of places dying to find someone to work for free, and I finally managed to find them.  I will be working 3 days a week in the slums where I will be teaching English/Science to children.  I'm a little nervous about working there, for obvious safety reasons, but also because of the kids.  I really have no idea how to teach children.  I'm a high-school teacher.  I don't even know if these kids can read or not.  Though a majority of my high-schoolers couldn't read either... but that's another story.

Luckily, the school system I used to work for in the States has an excellent teacher assistance website.  It's full of resources, ideas, curriculum, worksheets, projects, everything.  The best part is they have yet to block me out of the system.  YES.  I win!  So I first looked up "language arts and literature" for K-5.  Everything seemed kind of over the top for kids who don't speak the language.  Then I had a great idea.  I checked out the "beginner Spanish" for K-5 and got a lot of great info.  Granted it's for teaching kids Spanish, but I'll just change it to teaching kids English!

I'm supposed to go in on Friday afternoon to start.  I'll send them over an email today making sure I know exactly what it is I'm supposed to do over there.  Then I'll let the creative juices flow.  It's great to have something purposeful to look forward to and prepare for.  I truly hope I like working there and it works out that I can stay for a couple months.  We'll see how I do with the children... I don't even like children!!!

And a quick video here.  Oscar sent this video to me to help me learn "Costa Rican".  In this country there is an insane amount of slang and it seems that even if you are fluent in Spanish, you can get lost when 2 ticos start jabbing away.  So, for your viewing pleasure:


0 comments: