BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stamp Stamp Stamp RED TAPE Stamp Fee Fee Fee

That's the way a visa is born.

I've found out a few more steps I've missed thanks to a fellow work visa applicant.  So here's what I know so far (please correct me if I'm wrong Jimena! jaja).  I told my mom and she said "that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard", I told her to wait, because I wasn't done telling her ridiculous things yet...

1. Get a NEW birth certificate.  It needs to be printed within 6 months of applying for the visa.  Does that make sense?  No way. (big fee)
2. Get police report, must also be within 6 months, but this makes a little more sense. (fee)
3. Both must be notarized.  Well the birth certificate comes notarized.  But now I'm not so sure about the police report of good conduct.  If the police report is NOT notarized, it must be notarized by taking it to the police station and having a notary notarize that the policeman signs the report. (fee)
4. Then both documents must be sent to the Secretary of State, who will put a stamp on it for a fee, and a larger fee if you need it quicker.  Now it is even "more official".
5.  Next, both documents go to the Costa Rican Consulate in your area where another stamp gets put on for a fee, of course a larger fee if you need it quicker.  (let's not forget paying for over night shipping)
6.  Once in Costa Rica, you take these documents to get them translated. (fee)
7.  Finally you take them to get stamped by the Casa Amarilla. (fee)
8.  Now you should be able to APPLY for a work visa.

*long sigh*

Clock's ticking for me because I want my mommy to bring down these fully notarized and stamped documents on the 22 when they come to visit.  Will have plenty of time to make phone calls tomorrow to get exact directions and to figure out where everything is.  Will also bite the bullet and pay the $71 *clenches teeth* for an expedited birth certificate.  I could pay $24 and wait twelve weeks for it, but I need it like... last week.  All I know is if all this gets done before my mom leaves on November 22, she'll get free Imperials the whole time she's down here!

Here we go...

1 comments:

Jimena said...

heya
we have it much easier than you, I gotta bet that the spouse residency stuff is easier than the work visa stuff.
for the police letter, alex had gotten a simple statement saying "no priors". but they let us know that they would NOT notarize that. if we wanted something that could be notarized, we had to do a full background check with the state police.
you might check in with the state police, find out what they will do for you (or not) and whether it comes notarized. this really was one of the weirdest parts of the process...