BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Freak out!


Yeah I'm sort of freaking out.  Today I went into my school to get the books that I will teach from.  While I was waiting for the principal, I saw her walk up with about 7 books in her hands.  "Well", I thought to myself, "those can't possibly all be for me!  She must be bringing some up to the office to save her a trip."  This is when I got handed my schedule.


MondayTuesdayWedThursdayFriday
7:30-8:15Science 4
8:15-8:55Science 4
8:55-9:15breakbreakbreakbreakbreak
9:15-9:55Science 4Science 3Biology 7Science 3Science 5
9:55-10:35Science 4Science 3Biology 7Science 3Science 5
10:35-10:45breakbreakbreakbreakbreak
10:45-11:25Biology 8Science 5Science 5Science 6
11:25-12:05Biology 8Physics 8Science 5Science 6
12:05-12:40lunchlunchlunchlunchlunch
12:40-1:20Science 6Science 6Physics 7
1:20-2:00Science 6Science 6Physics 7
2:15-3:00Science 6Science 4Science 4

YIKES!!!  Well you can't see the whole chart, but let me tell you there are more colors where those came from.  I'll be teaching science to 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, plus physics and biology to 7th and 8th graders.  I have no idea where to even start.  I'm sitting here unable to do anything because how in the world am I going to be able to plan this week out?  I'm going to have to get hella organized.

Luckily, I have almost all day Monday free.  Which I have decided will have to be my planning day.  But even with a full day to plan I can't imagine teaching 7th grade bio, 5th science, 8th physics, 6th science and 4th science all in one day (my Wednesday).  

I have absolutely no clue how to teach 3rd graders.  I thought the smallest I would go would be 5th and even them I was worried about.  Now I'll have 8 year olds?  (8 year olds are in 3rd grade, right?  See!  I don't even know!)  How do you keep 8 year olds occupied for 90 minutes?

So I've already decided a few things.  One- I'm going to make two groups out of my eight.  Third, fourth and fifth graders will be in one group, and sixth, seventh and eighth in another.  I plan to use a more elementary approach with the first and younger group.  And for the older guys we'll be doing the style I'm already used to using- fill in the blank notes, foldables, charts, lots of vocab, lots of coloring and pictures, and labs.  Now I just need to figure out what the hell to do with the younger group.  The one thing I do know about them is I totally over planned during my "trail classes" I gave.  I see that as a good sign.

I need to find myself a method to keep everything in order.  I need to find a way to keep myself sane.  And I need to find a way to make sure work doesn't come home with me.  Lots of teachers do that.  I don't.

Let the planning begin!!

   

0 comments: