BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Time for an update

It's been too long my friends!  I have a free period right now so I figure I should try to write a blog.  And by "free period" I mean my class is full of unruly 2nd graders with a teacher that can't control them.  Headache.  (oh wait, it looks like they're going somewhere else today!  Freedom!)

Anyways...

My trip home was FABULOUS!  We had way too many parties and beers.  I got to see lots of my family I haven't seen in a long time.  It was really great to be home.  Here's some pictures!!

My mom and her high school friends.

My cousin Otis.

Bloody mary's for breakfast!

Me and my godfather and his partner.

The cake toppers!

The kids and mommy.

I brought this tap handle as a wedding gift.  Good thing too, they would have been one short otherwise!


So I had a really great time.  I think one of the coolest parts was I went and bought my first pair of high heels since the car crash in 2009!!!  I got them from Aerosoles, a "comfortable" shoe store where I used to work back in high school.  I bought not one, but TWO pairs.  They're not exactly what I'm used to, and look "comfortable", but I'm pretty damn psyched I can even wear the damn things at all.  One pair is higher than the other and I wore the lower heel to the party and danced ALL NIGHT in them.  Pretty big step for me.

Oscar and I also managed to bring back a couple things for us.  My dad got me two really nice knives for my birthday, my mom got us high thread count sheets, and we also brought back a ton of wedding cake (which Oscar's coworkers gobbled down pretty quickly).

My residency stuff is going.  I got my comprobante number and now I just play the waiting game for it to get approved (or denied!).  I expect at least 5 more months before I hear anything, and I don't expect to get my cedula (Costa Rican ID) until December at the earliest.  One of my coworkers told me there's some "push" to get foreign teachers their residency quicker, but who knows if that's true.  And even if it is true it might not mean anything anyways.

Work is going well.  My first week back after my week vacation was spent in parent conference meetings.  And that wouldn't have been so bad, but one of my coworkers thought she needed to talk for 15 minutes to every single parent.  It was exhausting.  These meetings could have been so much quicker.  I think the most time I ever took to talk was five minutes.

Perlita is doing well.  She came back from her boarding place completely full of fleas.  I gave her a bath and I must have washed off around 100 fleas.  There were so many they were jumping on me!  At one time I looked on my arm and I had 10 fleas on it.  Sheesh!  So we've been spraying her bed stuff with flea killing stuff once a week.  I've given her a few baths and have sprayed her with anti-flea stuff (which I'm not sure works).  Also, I've started feeding her garlic.  I wanted to avoid that, but I think risking a little garlic is better than being covered in filthy, itchy, disease ridden fleas.


Well school goes on "winter break" in July which is exciting.  I was planning on going to Germany with my sister but it's been hard to find a ticket reasonably priced (I'm talking less than $1500) that has good flights.  One I found for a pretty good price but one layover was only 40 minutes!!  No way that's enough time and I don't want to waste a day of an already short trip trying to get on another flight.  So we'll see how it goes.  Sitting around for 3 weeks would just be a travesty, so I need to figure out something.

Guess that's it for now.

UPDATE:  Just bought my ticket to Germany.  Hell yeah.  I was trying to buy this one ticket and for whatever reason every time I tried it wouldn't process.  Well I finally tried another website, and it went through!  I got a great deal, too!  Flying to Frankfurt in July!  *happy dance*

0 comments: