BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Resourceful!

For the past week I have been wanting to make chia pets with my fourth grade class (we're studying germination).  Last Monday I asked them to bring in stockings, an integral part.  Last weekend I was feeling sick so I didn't make it out to buy soil and seeds.  Tuesday, everything was closed by the time Oscar and I tried to go.  So today, right after work, I went to buy dirt and seeds.

After being assured that I could get both dirt and seeds at WalMart, I found out they had neither.  They have fertilizer and mulch, but no dirt.  They have flower and veggie seeds, but no grass.  I bought two packets of cilantro seeds just in case the vivero (plant store) didn't have any seeds, but I really thought they would.

Well they didn't.  I didn't feel like going back to WalMart so I decided I would just split up the cilantro seeds and hope they grow fast.  I told the guy working at the vivero that I wanted the cheapest bag of dirt they have.  I don't know if I misunderstood something, but I somehow ended up with a 50kg bag of dirt.  *face palm*  At least it was only $5.

I get home and think about how Oscar said to me earlier "I doubt anywhere sells grass seeds.  I mean grass grows everywhere!"  Then it hit me-- duh!  I can get grass seeds from.... GRASS!  So I went out to the patio and just spent about 10 minutes gathering two types of grass seeds.  I don't know if my timing was just lucky but it seems like everything is putting out seeds right now!  Hoorah!

So, we'll make the chia pets tomorrow and they will take them home during "winter" break next week.  Then bring them in the week after so I can give them a grade based on how well they took care of their pets.  It'll be fun.  I'll bring my camera and take some pictures tomorrow!

0 comments: